Why do I need a Software Defined Radio?
You want to receive any kind of radio signals within a huge frequency range of 100 kHz up to 1.7 GHz?
You like to follow ships or airplanes operating around you?
You are an amateur radio operator who want to use SDR technology?
You even want to develop your own radio frequency applications?
You just want a plug-and-play solution?
The XiOne Software Defined Radio is the solution for you, extremely versatile and flexible in its possible applications because the magic happens completely in software.
What makes the XiOne SDR special?
The XiOne Software Defined Radio has been designed around mobility, not only including the hardware but also a bundle of applications.
Just start-up XiOne and step into a new world of radio frequency applications without the need for special knowledge and therefore steep learning curves.
A huge frequency range from 100 kHz up to 1.7 GHz opens up a wide field of operations. For example the reception of worldwide short wave transmissions or the detection of ship as well as aircraft positions by receiving AIS and ADS-B Broadcasts.
There is no need to install special drivers because all interfaces are based on standard network protocols, so it is effortless to operate the device within all environments.
Simply connect via Wifi or Ethernet to the XiOne-Network or even use the USB-Port, which acts as a network interface too. The built-in router function actually allows parallel access to attached networks like the internet.
The XiOne has its own power supply allowing more than 2 hours of mobile usage, easily extendable with an external USB battery pack.
In combination with dedicated smartphone or tablet Apps the solution becomes mobile, allowing to go into areas with very low radio interferences.
Open to the Maker Community!
Beside of the already included extensive software bundle we would like to encourage the maker community to develop their own applications to continuously enhance XiOne’s capabilities.
A well documented license free Application Programming Interface based on TCP and a Software Development Kit, including code examples, make it easy to start the integration of new applications.
Develop your own open source or even commercial applications to be uploaded into the different mobile markets.
Applications where XiOne excels
Common Use Cases
We are going to provide free Java applications covering Windows, Mac OSX and Linux platforms for all common use cases. By achieving the stretch goals further mobile applications will be part of the product bundle.
Special Use Cases
XiOne SDR Software Compatibility
We are currently developing Gnu Radio and Redhawk blocks to ensure that XiOne gets seamless support within that important signal processing software.
Furthermore, we are planning to cooperate with SDR software developers to make their solutions XiOne compatible.
- Frequency range: 100 kHz – 1.7 GHz
- Up to 3.2 MHz bandwidth
- Sensitivity better than -110 dBm
- Frequency stability better 10 ppm (needs to be verified by the next prototype)
- Internal wide band amplifier (MAR-8A+), switchable by software commands
- 8 bit AD-Conversion providing a dynamic range of around 50 dB
- Internal battery for more than 2 hours of mobile usage. Easily extendable by an external USB power pack
- SMA Female Antenna Connector
- Included telescope antenna to cover the common use cases
- Effective RF-Shielding of the different system parts (RF-Path, Tuner, Controller and MIPS-Processor)
- Updatable Firmware to keep the XiOne always on the highest level of functionality
- Open, well documented, network based Application Programming Interface for easy software development to open up the solution to the Maker Community
- Java SDR, ADS-B, AIS and Spectrum Analyzer applications covering all major operating systems (Windows, Mac OS and Linux)
- By reaching the stretch goals we are going to provide Android, iOS and WP8 apps for the common use cases
- System based on the following chipset:
– R820T (Tuner)
– RTL2832U (Controller, AD-Conversion)
– RTL8197D (MIPS Processor)
– RTL8192C (WiFi)
– RTL8152B (USB Network Interface)
- USB Interface for internal battery charging which also works as a network interface to stream the SDR IQ-Data
- WiFi 2.4 GHz b/g/n
- Connect any mobile device easily
- Use XiOne as access point to assure SDR as well as Internet usage at the same time
- Ethernet Network Interface to stream the SDR IQ-Data via TCP or to connect an existing network to use the SDR and for example the Internet in parallel