Elecraft K3 – Assembly Complete Ready for Testing – Day 11
On to final assembly of the Elecraft K3 – there didn’t seem like much left to do before testing so I had some time the other night to finish up. There were a few parts here that were a little frustrating – mostly to do with the heat sink for the 100-Watt Amp. It was something that got put in early on in the steps that gets in the way when you have large hands for some of the more delicate work that has to be done after this.
After this you work on the bottom panels, which are very easy but a couple of things to think about here. Getting the feet laid out so when you put the raising bar on you will ensure that you get them right the first time. My video doesn’t show it as it’s in fast motion but I spent a little extra time ensuring I had the feet in the right order.
The next step is the noise blanker board which of course is an easy install but with the head sink as well as the top bar in place if adds al little complexity to getting it installed that I’m not sure needed to be there. This is one of the places in the instructions that could use some updating but I’m going to save that for my overall build notes.
Elecraft K3 Assembly complete – well kind of J This was the main portion and the 100-Watt Amp isn’t in yet I have to do some testing and calibration before that. Right now the main assembly is completed. Boy was that fun. Once I get a chance to take a break and get all the calibration done and that Amp in I’m going to write up my overall impressions from the build – both all of the great things and the few areas I would suggest for improvement. If you want any indication if I enjoyed the build the night this was finished I did two things – I pulled my 1000mp out of the main station location and I ordered the P3 as my next assembly. I would think that should tell you how much I enjoyed this.
Enjoy the video: